Electricity is part of our everyday lives. It is used daily to help run our fast-paced world. Like any power source, however, it can be dangerous. Learn more about how to be safe around electricity below.
With all the appliances, tools, cords and plugs we use in everyday life, it's important to know how to use them safely. Keep your family safe by treating power with respect.
Liberty Utilities is a member of the Sierra Front Wildfire Cooperators. This group includes responders such as the U.S. Forest Service, the federal Bureau of Land Management, and the Nevada Division of Forestry, and meets six times a year to prepare for possible disasters — like wildfires — in its service territory, including the Lake Tahoe region.
Powerlines, substations, and transformers all contain “live” parts that can be dangerous to contact. Whether uninsulated overhead powerlines or underground powerlines, it’s important to exercise caution around any electrical system.
Trees can cause power outages when branches rub against power lines, break and fall on lines, or when trees are blown over on to power lines during storms. However, do not attempt to prune the trees yourself. Learn more on how you can request a tree trimming from Liberty Utilities.
Planting a tree? Installing a fence? Planning a home improvement? Call 811.
Did you know it’s the law to make this call? Electric power lines, natural gas pipelines, water pipes, communications lines, and other utility services can be within a few feet of the ground. Not knowing where they are can result in personal injury, property damage, and neighborhood service interruptions. Even a small dent or a scrape can cause damage, resulting in a leak or service-wide disruptions.
Most electrical fires can be traced to overheated circuits and overloaded equipment. When abused, insulation may melt or burn, exposing live wires. Learn what to do in the event of a fire and how to avoid having one.
Purchasing an electric generator as a standby system can help prepare for the possibility of a power outage. However, generators can be expensive to run and maintain, noisy, and, most importantly, may pose a serious safety hazard if not used and installed according to the manufacturer's instructions. Be sure to follow all safety guidelines when using a generator.
Providing safe and reliable service to all our customers is a top priority for Liberty Utilities, and we want you to be aware of substances deemed potentially harmful by the State of California that may be used in our electrical operations.
Carbon monoxide, or CO, is a normal by-product of fuel combustion, but high levels of it indoors can be dangerous to your health. Typical heating fuels (oil, coal, wood, gasoline, kerosene, diesel fuel, or natural gas) can create carbon monoxide. Carbon monoxide has no odor, color or taste, but can cause serious health issues. Take steps to make sure your home is protected.
Electromagnetic fields (EMF) are part of our everyday lives and are present around such things as appliances, electronics, power lines, and electric wiring.