Most people are familiar with the distinctive "pungent odor" aroma added to natural gas. It’s often compared to sulfur or rotten eggs. If you smell gas in your home, or suspect a gas leak, call the gas company right away.
Carbon monoxide, or CO, is a normal by-product of fuel combustion, but high levels of it indoors can be dangerous to your health. Typical heating fuels (oil, coal, wood, gasoline, kerosene, diesel fuel, or natural gas) can create carbon monoxide.
Carbon monoxide can build up to a dangerous level if a fuel-burning appliance isn't operating properly, or is not safely venting fuel combustion by-products.
Carbon monoxide has no odor, no color and no taste. Because it combines with the body's blood and prevents it from absorbing oxygen, carbon monoxide can cause serious illness and, in extreme cases, can even be fatal.
If you notice any of these warning signs, get outside to fresh air and get to the doctor immediately.
Install a carbon monoxide (CO) alarm near your home’s sleeping areas. We recommend that the alarm be marked with “UL 2034” indicating that it meets the standards set by Underwriter's Laboratories, Inc. (UL).
Have your chimney, heating system and water heater flue vent piping inspected regularly and cleaned by a professional when necessary.