Conditions for Participation
- The water bill is in your name.
- You may not be claimed on another person’s income tax return other than your spouse.
- Your total yearly household income (the income or aid received by all persons living in your home)-before deductions-is no more than the income level shown below.
- You may be asked to verify your income. If you do not reply or are found not eligible, you may receive corrected billings.
- You will be reminded to renew your application every two years.
- You are a residential customer with a 1 inch or smaller water meter.
What counts as income
Total household income is all revenues, from all household members, from whatever sources derived, including but not limited to:
- Wages or Salaries, Interest, or Dividends from
- Savings Accounts
- Stocks or Bonds
- Retirement Accounts
- Unemployment Benefits
- Rental or Royalty Income
- Scholarships, Grants, or other aid used for living expenses
- Profit from Self-employment (IRS Form 1040, Schedule C, Line 29)
- Disability Payments
- Workers Compensation
- Social Security, SSI, SSP
- Insurance Settlements
- Legal Settelments
- TANF (AFDC)
- Food Stamps
- Child Support
- Cash and/or other income
- Spousal Support
Verification of Income
You may be asked to verify your household’s eligibility for the CARW Program. If requested, you must provide proof of income for all persons living in your household. If you do not reply or are found not eligible, you may receive corrected billings.
If you currently qualify for California Alternative Rates for Energy (CARE) with Southern California Edison or The Gas Company, you may be asked to provide a copy of your current electric or gas bill.
How can you apply for CARW Program
If you currently qualify for California Alternative Rates for Energy (CARE) with Southern California Edison of the Gas Company, you will be eligible for CARW.
If you have any questions about the CARW Program, please call our Customer Service Department at 1-800-727-5987