Liberty Utilities delivers a wide range of commodities across the country, including natural gas. Although we do not deliver natural gas to your community, knowing safety information about natural gas is an important part of keeping your business and community safe.

Smell Rotten Eggs? You Could be Smelling Natural Gas 

Most people are familiar with the distinctive "pungent odor" aroma added to natural gas. It’s often compared to sulfur or rotten eggs. If you smell gas in your building, or suspect a gas leak, call the gas company right away.

    • If the building has a kitchen, check to be sure any cooking ranges and oven controls are turned off. 
    • Don't operate electrical appliances or switches. This can cause sparks.
    • Don't smoke or light matches.
    • Leave immediately. Instruct others to leave.
    • Open windows and doors on your way out. Don’t re-enter the building to open windows.
    • Call the gas company's emergency number or dial 911 from a mobile phone or neighbor’s phone. Dial 711 if you are hearing impaired. 

    If you suspect a leak inside:

    • Evacuate the premises and leave the door open when you exit.
    • Do not use electrical switches, telephones, appliances, garage door openers, etc.
    • Do not use lighters or matches and do not smoke.
    • When you arrive at a safe location, call 911 immediately.

    If you suspect a leak outdoors:

    • Leave the location immediately.
    • When you arrive at a safe location, call 911.
    • Keep clear of the area.
    • Do not start any motors or motor vehicles near the area of the gas odor.
    • Do not use lighters or matches and do not smoke.

Suspect Carbon Monoxide Build-Up

  • Carbon monoxide, or CO, is a normal by-product of fuel combustion, but high levels of it indoors can be dangerous to your health. Typical heating fuels (oil, coal, wood, gasoline, kerosene, diesel fuel, or natural gas) can create carbon monoxide.
    Carbon monoxide can build up to a dangerous level if a fuel-burning appliance isn't operating properly, or is not safely venting fuel combustion by-products.

  • Carbon monoxide has no odor, no color and no taste. Because it combines with the body's blood and prevents it from absorbing oxygen, carbon monoxide can cause serious illness and, in extreme cases, can even be fatal.

  • Environmental Indicators:

    • Extremely stuffy, stale air
    • Water condensation dripping on the inside of windows


    • Headaches
    • Nausea
    • Dizziness
    • Coughing
    • Ringing in the ears
    • Spots before the eyes
    • Reddened skin color


    If you notice any of these warning signs, get outside to fresh air and get to the doctor immediately.

    Install a carbon monoxide (CO) alarms in your building. We recommend that the alarm be marked with “UL 2034” indicating that it meets the standards set by Underwriter's Laboratories, Inc. (UL).


  • Have any chimneys, heating system and water heater flue vent piping inspected regularly and cleaned by a professional when necessary.